With this super easy AppleSauce recipe you won’t need to skip anymore when coming across a recipe (usually vegan) that features that as an ingredient.
Not only an ingredient thou. It is such a delicious healthy vegan snack by the spoonfull, great on top of fruits, ice creams and yogurts.
And my personal favorite (cinnamon flavored, check options below) with some nice pancakes for a healthy yet decadent breakfast.
And it is one of those recipes without many excuses not to make it homemade. Healthier, no added sugar, easy and all you need is a saucepan and stove top.
- Apples: you can use any variety but the softer ones are better since we are cooking them. Golden Delicious are great for cooking. Honeycrisps have a nice sweetness and Granny Smiths will give a tart taste. Mixing them works too. The ripe ones are better for sweetness.
- Lemon juice: here I use just enough to keep it fresh longer. You can use apple cider vinegar or lime instead. It doens’t have to be freshly squizzed either.
How to Make Applesauce
It’ll literally take you 2 ingredients and some 10 minutes.
Separate your apples, peel them and remove the core. Cut them into small pieces and place them in a saucepan.
Add enough water to keep the apples from burning. Cook over medium heat until the apples are very soft.
Remove excess water (if any), add the lemon juice and place the apples in a blender or food processor. Beat until you get a homogeneous cream. It is ready.
It is ready! You can add flovors too, check bellow for suggestions.
Upgrading your Applesauce
You can add one or a combination of the following to your recipe. I only do it after mixing, when the sauce is ready.
- Cinnamon: 1/2 tsp
- Ginger: 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg: 1/4 tsp
- Clove: 1/2 tsp or add 5-10 to the jar and give it a stir before using it.
- Sweetner: if you must…2 tsp of maple syrup are my favorite option.
If you feel inspired enough to start canning this recipe is perfect for it. You can take a look at this post on Canning Made Easy by the blog Parents.com.
I have mentioned a few ways you can use the applesauce already. But take a look at a very creative one, my recipe for Banana Coconut Macaroon Cups. Bellow you can see them topped with the sauce, making such a nice flavor contrast with the pineapple.
Apple Sauce – How to Make – 10Minutes – 2Ingredients – Healthy – EasyCourse: Sauce, Sides and BasicsCuisine: American, VeganDifficulty: Easy
Apples, 4 medium to large ripe Golden Delicious (or other variety)
Lemon juice, 2 tsp
Water, 1 cup
- Peel (or leave the peel on), core and chop your apples. Take them to a saucepan.
- Add enough water to keep the apples from burning. I’ve used 3/4 cup. You want to drain as little as possible after the cooking is done.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until the apples are very soft (a fork should be easily inserted).
- Remove excess water (if any) and place the apples in a blender or food processor. Beat until you get a homogeneous cream.
- If you wish you can leave the peels on. For better texture use a high speed blender in that case.
- It usually keeps for up to 1 week in a closed jar in the fridge. Up to 1 month in the freezer.
- No mixer or blender? Potato masher or even a wooden spoon will work.