This is the easiest and yet most flavorful Oven-Baked Mashed Potatoes recipe I have tried.
Is one of those recipes that show that sometimes it is really all in the details.
The combination of cinnamon and nutmeg and potato with cabbage couldn’t be more simple. And the steps to make this vegan dish are seriously easy.
But the result ALWAYS impresses.
I guess sometimes less is more in the kitchen too.
- Cabbage: I’m using green cabbage. The recipe works better with the stronger varieties like this one. If you want to check other types here is a list with pictures.
- Potatoes: any kind. I really want to try doing this recipe with sweet potato, but haven’t yet. As for the white varieties I have tried a few and all work great. Basically if the potato is good for mashed potato you can use it here.
- Cinnamon: I am usually very open to mixing savory, sweet and sour in food. And I have eaten cabbage with cinnamon more than once before however with the potatoes it amazed me.
- Nutmeg: Very important as it works as a less sweet spice that transitions from the sweet cinnamon to the savory recipe.
- Oregano: will be mixed in the breading. Any other dry herb you like is okay here.
- Corn Flour: You can use anything else you prefer for breading. I use corn flour as much as possible as I feel it brings more flavour than grated bread or other flours.
- Olive Oil: OPTIONAL. I haven’t used you might have to grease your baking dish or drizzle a bit over before putting in the oven.
How to Make Baked Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage
We are basically making a dry mashed potato here. You can cook the potatoes as you prefer and smash them as you are used too.
BAKING THE MASHED POTATOES AND CABBAGE
I don’t use any oil but if you wish to do so you can drizzle it just before taking to the oven or even just before serving.
Some other delicious and super easy cabbage recipes you can easily make for dinner as a side dish. Try the Sweet-and-Sour Baked Cabbage or the Turmeric Roasted Cabbage.
Both recipes are also great the next day as a cold lunch option, just like this Baked Mashed Potatoes you are about to cook.
Hope you try, enjoy and come back for more!
Baked Mashed Potatoes with CabbageCourse: Main, SidesCuisine: Vegan, ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Easy Baked Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage. Few and simple ingredients; healthy, gluten and oil-free. Delicious and versatile easy meal option.
Cabbage, 8 oz, about 1/2 cabbage
Potatoes, 17,6 oz, about 3 units
Nutmeg, 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon Powder, 1 teaspoon
Oregano, 1 tablespoon
Corn Flour, 2 tablespoons
Salt, to taste, start with 1/2 teaspoons
Olive Oil, totaste, to drizzle, I usually don’t use it
- Boil the potatoes as you prefer. I do it with the peel, whole, so the peeling is easier after.
- In the meantime cut the cabbage in half and remove the hard bottom.
Cut it into thin strips (even using a mandolin is fine) and put it in a skillet with about 1/4 cup of water.
- Place the pan over low-heat and turn off when the cabbage has wilted. Will take almost 10 minutes.
Season with salt and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes when they are tender.
Peel the potatoes and mash them with a masher.
Add a little salt, the cinnamon, grated nutmeg. Stir and taste it to adjust seasonings.
Add the cabbage and stir.
- Put everything in an oven dish and press well with a fork.
- Mix the corn flour, the origano and a pinch of salt and cover the surface of the pie well. (Optional – pour a little olive oil).
And to the oven at 350° C for 30 minutes or until the surface is golden.
- Please take a look at The Ingredients section of the post for possible substitutions.
- The Baked Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage can be enjoyed cold too.