These Carrot Bread Balls introduced me (pensandoaocontrario blog) to the fact that you can bake almost anything with oats. And a veggie.
This recipe will amaze you. It is so full of flavour even without any of the spices, you can even skip the salt.
The result is a soft and very filling bread ball with a touch of the carrot sweetness and the hearty taste of the oats.
Super easy to make, you can even freeze and it does not get any healthier than that when it comes to bread.
- Carrot: any type and level of ripeness. You can actually swap the carrot completely. Check my Sweet Potato Bread Ball recipe for an entire new, and equally easy, option.
- Oats: rolled, but you can use oat flour if you wish. Check the video showing the consistency we are looking for.
- Garlic powder: onion powder is good too.
- Oregano: I prefer dry in this recipe.
- Salt: here it is an optional as the bread is good with just the carrot taste. If using salt make sure not to add to the carrots, but mix with the dry ingredients only.
The mixture will have the texture on the video⬇, but don’t worry that it is easy to roll with damp hands.
How to Make Carrot Bread Balls
We start by blending our oats until very fine, but there is no need to sieve. On another dish mix it with the dry ingredients.
Cut the carrots and boil until very soft.
Beat them until homogeneous and add to the dry mixture, and mix again.
Make balls and bake until golden brown.
There you have it. An amazing vegan snack, nutritious breakfast , easy lunchbox take-away option or weeknight dinner side.
I love to eat these alongside a nice salad or as a side to a nice pasta dish. Before this recipe I always felt guilty eating pasta and bread together. Problem solved!
Wanna try it too. I suggest my extra light and creamy Fennel Pasta Sauce.
Carrot Bread BallsCourse: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Sides and Basics, SnackDifficulty: Easy
These Carrot Bread Balls are soft and very filling, with a touch of the carrot sweetness and the hearty taste of oat. SUPER easy to make too.
Carrots, 9 oz raw, about 2 big carrots
Rolled Oats, 3,5 oz, about 1 cup
Oregano, 1 tablespoon
Garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Clean and cut the carrots but there’s no need to peel them. Take to a saucepan, cover in water and boil until very soft. About 25 minutes.
- We now blend our oats until very fine, but there is no need to sieve.
- On another dish we mix the blended oats with the salt, oregano and garlic powder. Reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Take the boiled carrots from the water and, with a hand-mixer or blender, we beat the carrots until homogeneous. Add that to the bowl with the dry mixture and mix again. It will be still sticky. (there is a short video above showing the desired texture)
- Make balls by scooping a spoonful of the mixture and rolling with wet hands. Place on a non-baking tray or parchment paper, wet again the hands e repeat.
- Bake until golden brown. Should take about 30 minutes.
Let them cool before serving.
- Please check The Ingredients section of the post for possible substitutions.
- For better results use the carrot still hot to finish the recipe.
- Out of the fridge, in a closed container, the bread balls last up to 4-5 days.
- You can freeze the balls not yet baked for up to a couple of months.
- If you believe you need to add flour, wait about 5 min before doing so to give a chance to the oats to soak some of the moist.