If you are anything like me you can crave crunch food as bad as sweets and chocolates and this easy Chickpea Flour Crackers recipe will become your best friend.
The truth is that these chickpea flour crackers are so crispy you have to make them thin, or they might even get too hard.
They are easy and super quick to make, last for a week, are easily packed and super filling-craving-killing! Gluten-free vegan recipe and overall healthier than store ones. And you can add other spices too!
- Chickpea Flour: the only variation here is if you want to make yours. Go for it.
- Oregano: I have also used and loved dried Thyme, Onion and Garlic. Use what you like just prefer the dried leaves instead of the powder, as it can alter the dough making it harder.
- Plant Milk: here again I have experimented with coconut milk, soya and rice. The “heavier” ones, like coconut, seem to perform a little better. But you won’t ruin anything by choosing a different source of milk. Make sure is unsweetened.
- Olive Oil: I would stick to the olive oil as it does add to the taste not only the texture.
- Salt: of choice.
- Baking Powder: can easily be substituted for Baking Soda. Here’s how, according to the blog DelloMano. “You just have to remember the rule of thumb: baking soda is three times as powerful as baking powder. So if the original recipe calls for 3 teaspoons of baking powder, you only need a teaspoon of baking soda as substitute. You will also need a teaspoon of acid (such as vinegar or lemon juice) for every 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.”
How to Make Chickpea Crackers
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Mix the chickpeas flour, baking powder, salt and dried oregano. Add the milk and olive oil and mix well with your hands. Add the water gradually. Once the dough is smooth, knead for a minute until softer.
If the dough is brittle, add more water.
Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle a smooth surface with flour and open the dough thin. Cut into rectangles (or the shape of your choice) and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
Brush some olive oil on top of the biscuits.
Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan half-way, until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve.
Your Very Own Homemade Crackers!
Really hope you get to enjoy the crackers as your next vegan snack. Maybe take to school or work, or even as a breakfast option. And if you want to check something else really easy and cool you can make with chickpea flour just take a look at the Italian Traditional recipe for Chickpea Fritters we have and my very own Chickpea Savory Pancake. Vegan, easy and gluten-free.
Chickpea Crackers – Super Crispy – Healthy and Gluten-FreeCourse: SnackDifficulty: Easy
Chickpea Flour 1 cup
Baking Powder 1/2 teaspoon
Oregano 1 teaspoon
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Plant milk 1 tablespoon
Olive oil 1 tablespoon
Water 2 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or with a silicone mat (silpat). Set aside.
- Mix the chickpeas flour, baking powder, salt and dried oregano.
Add the vegetable milk and olive oil and mix well with your hands. Add the water gradually, always mixing.
Once the dough is in a good texture, knead for a minute until it is soft.
If the dough is brittle, add more water (1 teaspoon at a time). Mix well after.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Cover a smooth surface with flour and open the dough.
Cut into rectangles of approximately 0.12in thick (or the shape of your choice). Keep them thin, as they are crispy and might be too hard otherwise.
Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush some olive oil on top of the biscuits.
Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan half-way, until golden.
- Cookies can be stored in a well-enclosed container for up to a week.