You probably know how well Potato and Leeks go together, but this Detox Potato and Leek Soup is not ONLY another proof of it.
Because what you probably didn’t know is how healthy the soup with these two ingredients is and how easily we can boost their properties and benefit from them.
Not compromising the delicious taste of the Potato and Leeks combination.
Leek has diuretic, laxative and detoxifying properties.
Excellent natural antioxidant, thanks to the presence of flavonoids, minerals and vitamins has considerable health benefits.
Ally of the immune system, it defends the organism from fungi and bacteria, it can be defined also ally of the liver for the depurative properties and the intestinal function. Let’s not forget the benefits it brings to blood circulation, veins and arteries, also containing anti-cholesterol substances.
It is high in antioxidants and may help fight off bacteria and viruses, potentially reduce the growth of cancer cells and help alleviate inflammation.
(info from Healthline)
- Leeks: we are using only the white part.
- Potato: any variety of white potato is fine.
- Broth: can easily be substituted for water (obviously with some loss regarding the taste). However you can check my Broth recipe and you’ll see how it is fuss-free, useful and quick.
- Oregano: regarding the taste Thyme is a great substitution. I use Oregano for the properties mentioned above, to bust the soup.
- Salt & Pepper: to taste.
- Olive Oil: I serve sometimes with a drizzle of oil, but if you like you can soften the leeks with oil too, instead of water like I do.
- Cumin Seeds: not so common as the powder, but they are great with potatoes. You can blend them or use them whole (they are quite tiny already). You can also only sprinkle on top just before serving, add to the other ingredients and blend together or add after blending and stir. So, many options to try if you haven’t yet.
How to Make Detox Potato and Leek Soup
You can enjoy your Detox Potato and Leek Soup with some thin slices of Leek and a few Cumin seeds.
A drizzle of Olive Oil is also a tasty touch.
Why not stretch to a few days of cleansing and detoxing?
We have another delicious super healthy and equally easy and quick vegan soup and creamy recipes for your lunch or dinner.
Detox Potato and Leek Soup – Vegan & CreamyCourse: MainCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
Delicious and Detox Potato and Leek Soup. Super easy and quick dinner and lunch option. Healthy, gluten-free full of antioxidants. VEGAN!
15.2 oz Leeks, only the white part (about 6 Leeks)
10.5 oz Potatoes (about 3 small)
17 oz (2 cups) Broth
1 tablespoon dried Oregano
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Cumin Seeds to taste, about 1 teaspoon if you are blending
1 teaspoon of Olive Oil per serving
- Wash the leeks and cut off the green part. Slice it thinly. Peel the potatoes and dice them.
- Sauté the leeks in a non-sticking pan, stirring from time to time, until the leeks start to release their water than start to dry. OPTIONAL add a drizzle of oil to sauté.
- Add the diced potatoes.
Pour the vegetable broth, the pepper, salt and oregano and cook for about 30-35 minutes.
- When the potatoes are softened spent the stove and blend everything to obtain a smooth cream. OPTIONAL add some cumin seeds.
- Check the salt and pepper and serve it with a drizzle of oil and a few seeds of cumin.
- Please check The Ingredients part of the post for possible substitutions.