With only 2 mandatory ingredients, sweet potato and oats, these Sweet Potato Bread Balls are the ultimate guilty-free bread option.
They are delicious, soft, healthy and the easiest potato bread recipe of your life.
These bread balls are wholesome, have no saturated fat, are 100% plant-based and gluten-free.
And yes, it does feel like you’re eating bread. Because you are!
- Sweet Potato: I’m using the one in the picture above but any variety is fine. The white one, in some places easier to find, is even a bit better to make bread with for it’s consistency. Here’s a link if you want to check the types commonly available.
- Rolled Oats: we’ll blend it so you can use oat flour or fine oats instead.
- Olive Oil: it does add a humidity to the recipe that helps fluffness, but it depends also on your sweet potato and even oats. And I have made with extrictly the 2 main ingredients and the result is great.
- Black Olives: totally optional. as you can see I don’t even add salt in this recipe so I choose a salty type of olives and the contrast with the sweetness of the potato is excellent.
If you want your bread with salt add it to the oat flour and mix well, avoiding to add it straight to the potatoes. This way you have the salty taste enhancing the bread but not fighting with it’s sweetness.
How to Make Sweet Potato Bread Balls
If you’re wondering if these vegan bread balls can be made with oats and any other veggie…yes!
And I can prove it… Carrot Bread Balls.
Hope you get to enjoy either (or both!) of these bread balls as a super filling snack, hearty vegan breakfast or a guilt-free side for some nice pasta dish.
The latest is my favorite pairing, so I have to give you at least 2 options.
Super easy and healthy Eggplant Pesto and Creamy Fennel Pasta Sauce. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Bread Balls – Vegan & Easy – 2 IngredientsCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
Sweet Potato, 10,5 oz when raw, about 2 big ones
Rolled Oats, 6,5 oz, about 1/2 cup
Olive Oil, 1 tablespoon
Black Olives, chopped, 20 units
Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Cut the sweet potato into big pieces and boil covered in water until very soft. About 25 minutes.
- Remove the peel and mash with a fork until smooth. With the potatoes still hot.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add now any optionals to the potatoes and mix well.
- If you want to use salt add now to the flour. Add this mixture to the sweet potatoes’. Mix really well with a fork then with your hands.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes before rolling into balls. Wet your palms between each spoonful of dough.
- Take the balls to the oven for 30-35 minutes. Check inside with a toothpick.
- Let the bread balls cool before serving.
- Please check The Ingredients section for possible substitutions.
- If using the white sweet potato you can brush some oil with turmeric powder on top of the balls before baking.
- The bread balls can be kept for up to 5 days in a closed container out of the fridge. And up to 2 months in the freezer, unbaked.
- The sweet potatoes can be cooked in any other way until mashable.