With only 4 ingredients these Vegan Chocolate Truffles with Sweet Potato can be made in little time and are indulgent and healthier-than-you’d-think treat.
These are delicious, great to kill sweet and chocolate cravings, to impress at a party, kids’ birthday. These are a healthy yet indulgent snack, goes greatly with coffee, tea or any bubbly you might fancy.
- Sweet Potato: no substitutions here. And take my word for it, you want to use them. Check the section about the super easy cooking possibilities just below.
- Cocoa Powder: I have tried with chocolate pieces but the recipe needs the dryness of the powder. I also believe it is better to keep the cocoa pure, sugar free.
- Demerara Sugar: here you can use pretty much any sweetner. I’ve successfully used powder sweetener and cane sugar. Will try coconut sugar and update here. As for the amount, go slowly and taste the dough.
- Coconut Oil: I haven’t tried another one and here too I recommend to avoid substitutions. The coconut oil does help with the final texture when colder.
How to Make Chocolate Sweet Potato Truffles
First things first, the Sweet Potato.
Since this recipe is basically 2 steps I’ve included a bit of a tutorial from the Brazilian blog Tudo Gostoso on the many different ways you can cook your potatoes. All easy and quick.
After all, one of the great things about these little bliss balls is the possibility to explore the magically versatile Sweet Potato.
How to Cook Sweet Potato
IN THE PRESSURE COOKER
Wash the potatoes thoroughly and do not remove the peel. Place the potatoes in the pan and cover with water. Close the pan and cook for 10 minutes after pressure.
STEAMING Sanitize the potatoes well: wash them in running water and, with the help of a brush or sponge suitable for food, scrub them. Cut the potatoes. Bring 1 liter of water to a boil and place the steaming container on top of the larger pan. Place the potatoes and leave on for 20 minutes.
BOILING ( my method of choice for this recipe) Place the peeled potatoes whole or cut in half in a deep saucepan. Put enough water to cover the potatoes and let them cook over medium heat. The time will depend on the size of the potatoes: usually, they cook between 15 and 25 minutes. Do a test with a fork: stick it in the vegetable; if it is soft, it is ready. Drain the water and, if you want, remove the peel.
IN THE OVEN (less suitable for this recipe) Wash the potatoes, cut them into slices, chips or cubes. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
When the Sweet Potatoes are Ready…
With the sweet potato cooked and peeled smash well with a fork and place it in a saucepan with all remaining ingredients. Mix it well on medium heat until the mixture is completely homogeneous and stops sticking to the pan.
Should take between 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the time the sugar takes to melt. Put it into a dish, like a plate, and let it cool completely. Take it to the fridge for at least 20 minutes before starting to roll the truffles.
The easiest way I’ve found to roll them into balls is by scooping the amount I want with a spoon and then taking carefully in my hands. I usually don’t even oil my palms, but it can help.
Your Vegan Chocolate Truffles are ready but if you want to make them greater just roll them over some chocolate sprinkles, coconut or any kind of grind nut.
This recipe makes for 15 bliss balls, more or less. It’s best kept in the fridge and served straight from it. But it does hold fine at room temperature.
If you have a moment check my other equally delicious, even healthier and always easy bliss balls. Pineapple Balls and Carrot Cake Balls.
Chocolate Truffles – Vegan Healthy Sweet Potato DessertCourse: Dessert, SnacksDifficulty: Easy
With only 4 ingredients this vegan Chocolate Truffles with Sweet Potato can be made in little time and are indulgent and healthier-than-you’d-think treat. You’ll love having these at hand during a sugar/chocolate craving.
1 1/2 cup mashed Sweet Potato
1 1/2 tablespoon pure Cocoa Powder
4 tablespoons Demerara Sugar
1/2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- Cook, peel and smash the Sweet Potatoes with a fork. Details on cooking options for the potatoes under the section How to make…
- Place all 4 ingredients in a sauce pan and, always mixing, take it to medium heat until the sugar is all melted, the mixture is completely homogeneous and stops sticking to the pan. Around 5-10 minutes.
- Place the mixture on a plate to cool completely before taking it for 20 minutes in the fridge. Should be ready to roll now.
- Roll over chocolate sprinkles, nuts, coconut or chocolate powder.
- The easiest way I’ve found to roll them into balls is by scooping the amount I want with a spoon and then taking carefully in my hands. I usually don’t even oil my palms, but it can help.