With this cold weather what’s better than a nice Vegan Lentil Soup of the season? Even better if with purifying properties. Here is the healthy recipe for a cleanse soup made with red lentils, turmeric and ginger.
But really, the best thing about this lentil soup is how filling and hearty it is, not to mention seriously delicious. And yet you feel lighter afterwards.
Recipe learnt in Italy. Win win win!
Just take a look how easy and fuss-free it is to make it.
- Onion: yellow or red variety as they have almost double the amount of antioxidants than the white variety.
- Carrots: you can add a bit more for a creamier soup, but a couple is already a balanced amount.
- Celery Stalk: a use a couple of big ones, without the leaves.
- Red Lentils: for the antioxidants you can use any type of lentils really. For the taste of this recipe thou I’d stick to red or yellow.
- Turmeric Powder: I know this is such a rich spice but don’t overdo it or you might end up with too much earthy flavour.
- Ginger: this time I’ve used powder but as much as possible I like to go for the fresh.
- Herbs to Taste: keeping it simple. Here I’ve used Thyme, sometimes I replace it with Oregano, great too.
- Water: or vegetable broth, if you are doing a clean enough broth recipe. I do have a simple but game changer recipe for a Vegan Vegetable Broth you can use in this recipe instead of the water.
Every and each one of the ingredients above is high in antioxidants. Even Thyme and Oregano. All of them!
But since this is a Lentil soup recipe and to be honest I was not aware of how big in antioxidants this legume is, here is a bit more about Lentils Nutrition and Benefits from the HealthLine blog.
“Lentils are a great source of health-promoting polyphenols, which have strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties with potential cancer-cell inhibiting effects.“
How to Make Vegan Lentil Soup
Clean, peel and roughly cut the onion, carrot and celery.
Pour everything into a large pot, add the cups of water, two pinches of salt and boil for about 40 minutes.
Then add the lentils that you have left to soak for a couple of hours, cover and let cook for about 30 minutes over medium heat.
Once the lentils are cooked, blend everything with a mixer, add turmeric, grated ginger, herbs that you prefer, stir well and serve!
Easy and delicious, great option for lunch or dinner. Seriously filling! Ah, tastes amazing when eaten cold too.
And if soups any time of the year are your thing too, make sure to take a quick look at my Italian Chickpea Soup, it is so easy and impressive.
Vegan Lentil Soup – Cleansing – Super EasyCourse: Dinner, Italian, Lunch, Soups, WinterCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Nothing more comforting than soup. Even better if with purifying properties. Here is the healthy recipe for a cleanse soup made with red lentils, turmeric and ginger.
1 large Onion, yellow or red
2 Celery Stalks
1 cup Red Lentils, soaked for a couple of hours
2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Ginger powder or 1 tablespoon fresh
Herbs to taste, I’ve used Thyme
Salt to taste
- Soak the lentils in water for at list a couple of hours. I usually just leave them soaking overnight.
- Clean, peel and roughly cut the onion, carrot and celery.
- Pour everything into a large pot, add the cups of water, two pinches of salt and boil for about 40 minutes.
- Then add the lentils that you have left to soak, cover and let cook for about 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Once the lentils are cooked, blend everything with a mixer, add turmeric, grated ginger, herbs that you prefer, stir well and serve!
- Check The Ingredients section for possible substitutions and benefits.
- Great to enjoy cold too. Just take from the fridge some 15 minutes before to bring it to room temperature.
- If you are making this recipe for the antioxidant properties don’t forget to go easy on the condiments.