Vegan beginner? You need this Vegan Mayo recipe in your life! It is super easy and quick to make, only fuss-free ingredients and super versatile and delicious.
If you haven’t added a lot more sauces, creams and dips in you menu since going vegan…..well…you can start now.
And this Vegan Mayonnaise recipe is great as you probably already have all the ingredients at home, you can make it fast, it is all plant-based and healthy and you can enjoy it on its own or it can become so many other sauces and dips. Some ideas below🌶
- Cashew Nuts: raw or roasted. Rinse if they are already salted.
- Lemon Juice: any variety is fine.
- Olive Oil: it won’t be oily, don’t worry. Just make sure it is a nice tasting one.
- Mustard: smooth and strong is better. Like Dijon. The taste will blend but make a difference.
- Salt: if you are using both add the Kala Nanak first and add the salt if necessary after blending once.
- Garlic: I usually use garlic powder a lot, but I wouldn’t advise to substitute here, for texture reasons.
- Kala Namak Salt (optional): it does give the eggy taste of the original mayo. Go really slowly thou.
How to Make Vegan Mayo
We start by soaking the cashews the night before in cold water or for 15 minutes in boiling water. The water is then discarded, no need to rinse it.
The cashews ,half of the water and all other ingredients go to the blender until homogenous. Add the remaining water slowly until the texture you want is achieved.
Check the flavour and adjust as liked.
The easiest way to give some extra flavour to your vegan mayo is to double the amount of one of the following ingredients, and from there adding slowly more if necessary.
- Lemon juice: add the extra juice before the other half of the water.
Some other easy 1 ingredient options bellow.
- Soy sauce: I use it instead of the salt, don’t use the Kala Namak and add a little less water. Great with grilled veggies.
- Olives: just add some 5 to 10 olives, green or black. Add and blend the olives, taste and only after adjust the salt. It might not be necessary.
- Tomato paste: the paste, thick one, not the sauce. A couple of tablespoons and a bit extra garlic for my taste.
- Parsley: I use 1/2 a cup of chopped fresh parsley.
- Onions: with fresh onions is great, 1/3 of a cup usually is enough. But if you add Caramelized Onions you will be addicted.
Vegan Mayo – Cashews – EasyDifficulty: Easy
Super easy and quick to make, extremely versatile and healthy Vegan Mayo recipe using cashews. Delicious as sauce, dip, to add extra cream to dishes.
Cashews, 1 cup raw or roasted
Garlic, 2 cloves
Mustard, 2 teaspoon, smooth
Lemon, 2 tablespoon
Olive oil, 1 tablespoon
Kala Namak (optional), for the egg after taste, 1/2 teaspoon
Water, about 1 cup
Salt, to taste, 1 teaspoon if you don’t use the Kala Namak
- Soak the cashew nuts in water for 8-12 hours or in hot water for 15 minutes. Discard the water, do not need to rinse.
- Add to a blender the cashews, half of the cup of water and all other ingredients.
- Blend until very homogenous. Check if the consistency is good for you and slowly add the remaining of the water until you have the firmness desired.
- Taste and adjust the flavour according to your preference.
- Check The Ingredients part of the post for possible substitutions.
- The mayo can be kept in the fridge for up to 1 week.